Monday, August 10, 2009

Green and Blue - Banff

Since I've had very little time for processing, I have chosen to process a few quick and easy shots. This first shot is just a simple dandelion seed head. Jay pointed this one out near Bow Lake. I shot with my 180mm macro. Notice I'm shooting in the shade - soft, even lighting works well for this subject. You can see the detail in the seeds, but the contrast isn't too extreme... which means the flower keeps its delicate softness.

This is Herbert Lake. We'd been shooting elsewhere, but high winds forced us away. I took only a few shots under this sky - and I threw all but this one away. Wide angle lens, f/11, and a long shutter speed (3.2 sec). A simple composition, a bit of texture in the clouds, and a bit of drama just for the fun of it.

This is an early morning shot from a pond near Graveyard Flats. We'd had a rough night - nearby campers partied late into the night, and loud thunderstorms kept us awake after that. The moodiness of the heavy morning fog had me smiling, though. :) This was an incredibly easy shot to process... no broad range of light to deal with, very low contrast overall, and it wanted to go blue... so I let it have its way.

What do you think?

We have an iHDR seminar in Ohio this weekend. There are just a few seats left, so if you are interested, don't put off registering any longer.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Varina.

Seems like you had a lot of misty and moody light in Canada.
These last photos have their own way of inviting mood and my favorite is the one from Herbert Lake. I think it`s the subtle, yet strong compositional qualities together with the fog that takes me away here. The macro is wonderful, and your own thoughts comes clearly forth just by viewing the photo.

Excellent work, very inspiring.

Have a great day, Varina.

Regards
Seung Kye

August 11, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Seung Kye. We were expecting clear blue skies during this trip, but (despite all our attention to weather reports) we were surprised by storms moving through the area one after another. I don't think I could have asked for better weather for photography. It was beautiful! I can't wait to process more of these images!

Thanks for your kind words!

August 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Darwin said...

Love the Dandelion shot - wow!

August 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

:) Thanks, Darwin!

August 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home