Sunday, April 27, 2008

Impressive lenses - and impressive muscles...

Here's another question from someone who was interested in my 17-40mm f/4 L series lens from Canon. I thought others might be interested as well.

“I was wondering if you would mind me asking you a question about the 17-40 canon lens. I have done a lot of research on it and thought it might be a nice lens for me. I just started with digital photography and the XTi. I’m not happy with the kit lens. ( I used to have a 2.25 film camera) I noticed you use the canon d20 which also has a cropped sensor. Do you feel that this is a good lens for the crop sensor body? I want a good optical lens and this is the only “L” lens I can afford. I noticed your husband seems to use this lens all the time, but he has the 5d.
Regards,
N..”

And my response...

"Jay and I have two 17-40mm f/4 L series lenses from Canon. The 17-4mm is the only lens we’ve purchased more than once – so clearly we like it a lot. :) The optics are excellent, and it works beautifully with or without the 1.6 crop factor camera. As you mentioned, the 17-40mm is Jay’s favorite lens for landscape photography. I generally use my 10-22mm lens because it provides a wider angle view with the 1.6 crop factor – so Jay and I get about the same wide angle view through our different lenses. Of course, the 10-22mm is an EF-S lens, and can’t be used with a full frame camera as it is designed for the 1.6 crop sensor. This lens will cost you just under $700.00.

Canon also sells a 16-35mm f/2.8 L series lens. This is a slightly larger and heavier lens – and it costs more as well… about $1400.00. It gets excellent reviews as well. Take a look at this comparison review from Luminous Landscape for some useful information."


And now for the impressive muscles... For all of you who aren't interested in the technical side of photography - I hope you'll stick around. I'll try to keep things interesting if I can. I'll be leaving for Olympic National Park on Thursday, and I can't wait to get more photographs up. Meanwhile, I've posted a stock shot for your enjoyment. As you can see - the model had a great time posing for me. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home