Thursday, February 12, 2009

After the Flood

I've processed my first image from our trip to Death Valley. This spot is located between Stove Pipe Wells and Furnace Creek, at the base of the Penamint mountain range. The flooded valley provided a wealth of unusual foreground options, and the sky was just gorgeous. I really like the tiny details in the foreground in this image... there are trails where some miniature creature moved across the sand. Knowing your hyperfocal distance is a real advantage when you're shooting with wide angle lenses. I love capturing those little details because they let the viewer experience the location on a more personal level.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great work Varina...as always!

February 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Varina! I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Jay come up with as well as your students.

this reminds me of our campsite...with the currents running throuhgout...haha

nice image...

February 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Brian. I'll keep working on my images. We stayed in hotels this time... and it's a good thing we did! We'd have been washed away. :)

February 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Varina,
Nice job on the presentation at CPS last night! I knew you were an accomplished photographer and a good teacher but I did not know you had such a great sense of humor. It made the presentation very enjoyable. Are you sure you weren’t on the stage in a former life? Anyway, I love the first picture post from the trip. It really brings your blog entry, "And then the rains came down" to life. Keep posting, can't wait to see the rest. Before I forget, it was great to meet you and Jay and thanks again for the informative talk and warm welcome.
P.S. I did click on some ads. :)

February 15, 2009 at 7:00 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks so much, Janet. I'm glad I had a chance to speak with you in person - I love meeting people. :) I particularly enjoy speaking at CPS - It's always nice to be among friends.

I hope we'll have a chance to see you and your husband again, soon!

February 15, 2009 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

I'm not sure how I missed your comment for so long, Dario - but there it is at last. Thanks so much!

February 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger MP said...

This is a great shot Varina - Glade reminded me of your blog :)

Milind

February 27, 2009 at 3:39 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks Milind. Good to hear from you! Your photos from your recent trip are fantastic! Nice work!

February 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home