Sunday, March 28, 2010

What do you think?


Thanks to the new Template Designer tool, we've redesigned our blog from the top down. The most obvious change is aesthetic. We wanted a lighter and more interesting look, and we think we've accomplished that. (We do want to point out, however, that the background image you are seeing now - with the raindrops and the mountains behind - is NOT our image. Blogger promises the capability to upload your own background images soon... and we'll do it as soon as we can. Meanwhile, we kind of like this one from their collection of stock photos.) The design change also allows us to use larger images (like this one from Kootenay National Park in British Columbia, Canada), which makes us very happy. Of course, you can still click on an image to view a larger version.

We've also added two pages - you'll find links under the header that provide information about our upcoming workshops, and about us. That means our profiles aren't crammed into the left-hand column - so it's a lot less crowded overall - and you don't have to search though all our old posts if you are interested in one of our workshops or webinars. We're hoping these changes result in a better experience overall.

So, what do you think? Does the new design work for you? Is it better than the old one? Is it easy enough to read? We'd like to hear what you think - suggestions and comments are always welcome!

Thanks, everyone!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Suyog said...

I personally think your blog would look awesome hosted on wordpress.com instead of blogger. You can also move your posts and stuff from blogger to wordpress very easily.

Wordpress has a great collection of themes, specifically emphasizing photography which would do well with your site.

Alternatively its also very easy to simply host wordpress on your own website instead of a domain and use one of hundreds of themes.

I host my blog on my own domain using wordpress myself.

Suyog

March 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Suyog. :) I've done some research comparing blogger and wordpress, and I don't think we'll be switching any time soon. Wordpress does have some excellent functionality, though. I'm glad it's working well for you.

I like the fact that blogger new template designer is infinitely customizable - and although I can't upload my own backgrounds just yet, I'll have that option soon.

Thanks for your suggestions!

March 29, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Jay Goodrich said...

Hey Varina,

I personally liked it with the more neutral colors you had a few days ago. I am a biased super modern guy who would paint the whole world white and allow only myself to wear a bright green or blue shirt. And only not red because green is MY color. I think when you can post your own image as a background that will be a huge plus. Even though, I still feel it should be a black and white and white image. My whole point being that I think that your and Jay's images (which possess brilliant color) will stand out against a neutral background much, much better. I do really like the overall feel of the new template though.

Cheers,

Jay G.

March 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Jay. :) Actually, I agree with you about the original image. I liked that one better, too. We had some complaints about the raindrops being distracting - and making the text difficult to read, so we replaced it with this one. We're looking forward to being able to put our own image in, though. Maybe we'll try one of our high-key black and white shots... just for you. ;)

Thanks for the comment!

March 31, 2010 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger ISmail Ali said...

Personally,

I have tried to use the new style, but the writing style isn't the same as the classic.

I think, if the leave the old style and the new style so both can be beneficial.

There are more chooses in the new, but it not for my blogger.

Came visit my blogger u will love it.

March 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM  
Anonymous John said...

Hi! I think this new design works well, looks good. The old design never bothered me, but this new one is a little easier on the eyes (white text on medium-dark blue). You guys are nature-landscape photographers so I think this new design works.

I'm a web designer. You have to BRACE YOURSELF when you try something new and ask people what they think! Usually you hear a surprisingly wide variety of reactions. Since you didn't get a substantial number of respondents saying No, it doesn't work!, then I think you've probably got a winner here.

April 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, John. I think we'll continue to tweak the design as blogger gives us more options, but it's good to hear positive comments from a designer. :) You're right about bracing yourself before asking for input on a new design! We've had mostly positive responses, though - so I guess we'll keep going with this one.

All the best!

April 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Reviewulver said...

The new vision is very sympathetic. Me personally I like a lot but if you manage somehow to hide the navigation bar which is at the top think will become even finished. Overall, I like

April 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

I see what you mean, Reviewulver. That nav bar really is a bit clunky, isn't it. We want to keep the bar, but maybe we can find a way to make it less choppy. We'll keep working on it! :) Thanks for the comment!

April 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home