Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Heading home...

We're waiting for our flight here in Las Vegas. I'm tired. I'm hoping to get a little sleep on the plane. We slept in this morning because the skies were clear. No good clouds means no good sunrise... and it means the photographer gets to sleep. We were up by 6:15am - but that's late, since we've been up at 3am every other morning, and to bed around 10:45pm. Long days.

Clear skies were exactly what we were hoping for today, though. We wanted to shoot Antelope Canyon. When the sun is high in the sky - and only for a few months of each year - and only when the sky is clear - beams of light stream down from openings at the top of this corkscrew slot canyon. This morning, we drove to Page (from Kanab) and booked a tour with the Navajo Tribe. At 11:30, they drove us out to the Canyon and let us loose to photograph this amazing location. We rarely take tours - we prefer to travel on our own - but that's not an option at Antelope Canyon. There were hordes of tourists taking pictures, and it was very difficult to get a clear view of the canyon to shoot. Still, I'm happy with the shots I did get. This place is well worth a visit, even with the high price of the tour and the huge crowds. There's no other place like it.

We were thrilled with the weather on this trip. Storms moved through the area constantly, and Tuesday (today) was the only clear day. The rest of the time, the skies were dynamic and the light was spectacular. In the course of five days, we visited Bryce Canyon, Zebra Canyon, South Coyote Buttes, Paria River Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Land of the Sleeping Rainbows, the Hanging Gardens, the Toadstools, Horseshoe bend, and Lake Powell (not in that order - and we visited some locations more than once - and I may have forgotten one or two locations). :) I'm looking forward to processing these photographs.

It's going to take me a few days to get caught up with everything once I'm home again, though. I have 145 emails to respond to - and that's just the beginning. So bear with me, please. I'll get these shots up as soon as I can.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home