Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Photo Prep

Today, we're preparing some sample images for National Parks Magazine. They've asked for some images for banners they'll be creating, so I'm pulling up images from Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Glacier. They may or may not use our photos, but it's good business if it comes through. We'll see. That's Iceberg Lake at Glacier National Park up there. We waited for quite a while to get those patterns of light on the water. The overcast skies let the sun through in occasional bursts - and this was the result... so beautiful reflected off the turquoise water.

I always cringe when I remember this day, though. After shooting, we started back down the trail. I stepped off a large rock, just a few yards from the lake... and something snapped in my leg. Pain shot from my femoral nerve downward - and left me unable to contract the muscles required to lift my foot without extreme pain. And I still had to get back down the mountain.

Every time I bumped my foot against a rock - and that happened a thousand times on the way down - pain would shoot up my leg, leaving me gasping. Luckily, the trail is an easy one - though it is 4.5 miles long, and climbs about 1200 feet (gradually, thank goodness). I couldn't run for three weeks - and it took quite a bit longer to get rid of the last of the pain.

I'm quite all right, now, though - we ran for an hour yesterday. ;)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Varina.

Good luck on the National Parks Magazine! The image here is stunningly beautiful and, as you mentioned, the light really adds even more interest to the colors and composition.

Have a wonderful week!

Regards
Seung Kye
www.leeseungkye.com

March 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...oh, I almost forgot!

It must`ve been a painful experience on that mountain.
Good to hear you`re healthy and well again.
Often, pain or exhaustion is the price to pay for a great photograph...in your case, the outstanding photographs greets me with their presence.

Take care Varina.

Regards
Seung Kye

March 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Seung Kye. :) You're right - landscape photography can be extremely physically demanding... but that's one of the things I love about it.

When I was a student, I had to write code to create computer programs that would meet certain requirements. The code could be complex and very frustrating at times... especially when I was on a deadline. But, when I finally finished the program, the intensity of my feeling of satisfaction was directly proportional to the amount of effort I had put forth. The harder I worked for it, the better it felt to achieve success in the end.

For me - landscape photography is as much about the effort behind producing the final image as it is about art. The blood, sweat, and tears become a part of the feeling behind the image... and the harder I worked for it, the better I feel.

I suspect that you know exactly what I mean. ;)

March 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home