Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Dreaming

All right... I know. I've neglected my blog. I'm still trying to get caught up on all the things I put aside while I was away. And with the holidays right around the corner, I'm pretty busy around here. But here I am.

I have two images for you tonight. The first - the one you see above - is a shot of Bryce Canyon National Park under about 8 inches of snow. We drove up to Bryce from Kanab early in the morning. Despite heavy snow, we were able to get there in time to catch the beautiful early morning light. We were lucky to find a heavy mist settled amongst the hoodoos - and a sky out of a dream. The image - titled "The Dreaming" - has had it's share of attention. My post of this image on the Fred Miranda Landscapes forum received hundreds of comments. The image was viewed 3,911 times in just a few days time. That's quite a response for one image. Certainly more than I've had before. I didn't create the magic - but I feel lucky to know enough about my camera to make it work for me on a morning like that one.

So - we had a lot of snow at higher altitudes. But closer to sea level, we had a lot of rain. A LOT of rain. In the desert. At Zion National Park, we photographed unusual waterfalls that appeared as water rushed down the steep sandstone walls of the canyons. These were not little falls, either. The were quite impressive.
So - rain in the desert, waterfalls on red sandstone, snow-covered hoodoos... what else? High winds, stinging hail, washed out roads, 4 wheel drive, spectacular light, gorgeous skies, patterned rock, good friends... It was a great trip.

I love my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home