Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sanctuary

Antelope Canyon was a lot of fun to shoot - although there were entirely too many people stuffed into the narrow canyon. The guides shouted to one another over the heads of the tourists, and it was nearly impossible to get a sense of how this location would feel if you stood in it alone. It wasn't until I began processing my photographs that I started to feel what I'd missed in the canyon. I may never visit this canyon alone - and hear perfect silence within these stone walls. But the photographs let me feel what I couldn't while I was standing there - the sanctity of such a place.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Varina...
I like the tilt...throws the routine perspective off..

the Horseshoe bend shot is awesome as well....

was the wind whipping you around?

June 2, 2008 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Brian. :) I found that I could best capture the stunning beauty of this place with a tilted lens. I decided not to try to compose images within the standard horizontal or vertical frame - instead to allow the scene to determine the composition. I wouldn't normally do that, but because the structure of the slot canyon was bizarre in it's own rite, I felt a little creative license might be forgiven. :)

The winds weren't too bad at Horseshoe bend - although the occasional gust was enough to make me feel a bit TOO close to the edge. :) On the other hand, I tend to notice the weather only when the camera is stowed in my bag. Once it's on the tripod, I forget the cold or the wind - and concentrate on photography.

June 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home