Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yellowstone

This shot was taken in Yellowstone National Park near the end of our trip. Storms moved through the region all afternoon and evening, and we saw four or five rainbows in different locations as we drove along. As the sun neared the horizon, we pulled over and parked the car near a beautiful meadow. The kids listened to music in the car, while Jay and I took a few shots. We were rather glad that the sky didn't do this every evening - with the kids along, we wouldn't have been able to shoot regularly.

I shot with a GND filter (click here for a brief explanation of GND filters) - but no polarizer. The GND let me capture the detail in both the shadows on the ground and the highlights in the sky. I nearly always use a GND filter to shoot sunrise and sunset. The dynamic range is simply to broad to be captured otherwise. In some cases, I use a circular polarizer when I'm photographing water. The polarizer cuts through glare and reflection, and allows me to see beneath the water. In this case, I wanted to see the colorful reflection in the water. And, you can't shoot a rainbow with a circular polarizer. The rainbow will disappear. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That light is pretty amazing. Most of the great shots I see out of Yellowstone are of wildlife, but you have certainly brought out the best of the landscape here. Very nicely done.

July 23, 2008 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Daniel. :) Although the Bison and Bears were incredible, I am always more interested in the geology , weather patterns, and flora in any given location. Yellowstone was fascinating - for all it's beauty, there is more going on under the ground than we could begin to imagine.

July 24, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home