Saturday, January 19, 2008

Frozen Desert

I'm writing this in a hotel room in Kanab, Utah. It is 7am here. I got up around 5 this morning to take a shower, but we decided against shooting this morning since the skies are unimpressive. Yesterday, we shot Zion in the morning and then hiked out to Wire Pass. We hiked through the pass to Buckskin Gulch, but were unable to get too deep into the slot canyon because of water and ice. We did try, though. Jay broke through the ice in order to stand on solid ground - under about three feet of freezing water... but in the end we decided it was too slippery... and entirely too dangerous to try to go further. I chose to stay dry this time, since I have a rather nasty cold that I can't seem to kick.

Ah well - we'll come again. We did get a few nice shots from Zion, and I'll post when I get home.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Varina,

This is Justin from the Kanab Visitor Center. Bonnie and I took a look at you and Jay's websites and the pictures you both have taken are beautiful! Just wanted to let you know that we enjoyed them thouroughly and are very glad you stopped by!

Oh and as for Zebra Canyon, it is full of water and so that will be a no go, sorry guys! Someone called about 5 minutes later telling us it was not accessible. Well good luck on your shooting here in southern Utah and we hope to see you agian!

January 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about safety, I went today to photograph the sun rise at the beach, I slipped on some rocks,almost broke my bone, got away with few scratches, but I'm OK now, so I agree with you, it is always better to play it safe and come back another day.

January 22, 2008 at 6:54 AM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're ok, Feras. Be careful out there.

I'm waiting for my flight at LAS right now - but I hope to have more time to write later in the week. This was a great trip for us. We managed to stay safe despite some difficult conditions and we're happy with the results.

Good luck and stay safe!

January 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks Justin and Bonnie! You guys were a great help to us. We decided against visiting Zebra Canyon, since we weren't sure what we'd get if we went out there. It's a long drive, and we thought the conditions might be bad. I'm glad to hear that we made the right decision! :)

Thanks for taking the time to look at our work - and to send us a note. Next time we're in Kanab, we'll stop in and say hello. You were all extremely helpful, and we appreciate that to no end. A good ranger can mean the difference between a fantastic photograph and a missed opportunity.

Take care!

January 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home