Tuesday, June 17, 2008

One last post before we go...

Zebra Canyon is in Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument in Utah. It is absolutely gorgeous. The hike was only a couple of miles along Harris Wash, though the trail is not marked, and I've heard that some have problems finding the canyon. We had no trouble at all. The canyon is often wet - but we visited on a very dry day. We had sand in our hair and in our pockets after being there for a few hours. Dry sand rained from the top of the canyon during our entire visit... and blew through the slot with every gust of wind. Tumbleweeds had collected in the pockets of the canyon, and we moved many of them out of the way in order to get our shots.

The canyon is extremely narrow. In places, we had to turn sideways to fit through - and our packs had to be dragged along behind - or passed back and forth between Jay and me. These photos were taken from a ledge at the back of the canyon - perhaps seven feet high. It was extremely difficult to access, but well worth the effort. There are no hand-holds in this smooth sandstone, and the walls in this spot were just a bit too wide to give me good purchase... perhaps if my legs were just a few inches longer. Jay stood below when I climbed up and down to catch me if I fell. I didn't, but there were a few sketchy moments. :)

There were other photographers and hikers in the canyon as well - and passing each other was difficult. The photographers we met were very nice, and we all took turns shooting and staying out of each others shots.

I'm happy with the shots I got of this beautiful, pink and white striped slot canyon. I'm looking forward to another trip. I'd like to get more shots of the entrance and the central sections.

En route to Yellowstone tomorrow - bright and early!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnificent shot! Gotta love the GSENM :P

July 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Varina Patel said...

Thanks, Justin. I love this place. Good to hear from you again!

July 5, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home